Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Digital Art

I'm not even going to get into my thoughts on digital artists. I know of, and personally, some amazing artists who work primarily in the digital medium. I also know of, and personally, some people who have no talent or ability whatsoever, and make pictures using computers to make up for what they never bothered to develope themselves, and fancy themselves "artists." None of that has anything to do with this post.

Here's my biggest issue with creating art digitally: There's no resulting "work of art". Think about (for a cheap and easy example) the Mona Lisa. The Mona Lisa is one of the most recognizable, most commonly used images in the mind of humanity. It's been emulated, imitated, duplicated, copied.... I'm sure even copulated, but there's only ONE. One original painting. That's it. It's that rarety which makes it one of the most valuable works of art in the Louvre. That will not happen with a digital image.

A digital image, by it's very nature, requires a computer to view, or a print to be made. Even a fine art print, on canvas and the whole nine yards, is still a copy. More copies can be made, indistinguishable from the rest.

Call me.... *insert appropriate word here* .... but I have a passion for the concept of the one-of-a-kind-original. A painting, oils acrylics or whatever, is that.

No comments: