Monday, August 24, 2009

Disposable World

So many of the things that we see and use every day are made not be disposed of. Things aren't made to last as they once were, it's all fodder for the ever-growing Waste Stream Monster.

This is a fact, I know it, you know it. Which raises the question: Why do I save so much crap?!? I am a sucker for saving, glueing, taping and trying to get every last once of life out of everything I use. I had this epiphony which stacking paperwork: I have boxes of paperclips right next to me, yet found myself twisting and trying to bend out another use from a paperclip that had clearly been used several times before. WHY DO I DO THIS? For the Environment? Because I'm a cheap bastard?? Is it OCD?!?

I don't know, but I am going to make an effort to treat more disposable things as the garbage they were meant to be. I'm starting with a BRAND-NEW PAPERCLIP!!!

No comments: